Other works since 1900
  In 1902, the new silver chandelier was made; its benefactors were Dun Nazju Galea, Grezzja Axiaq and Vincenza Camilleri. This was used for the first time in the titular celebrations of the Assumption of that year.

In 1903, a new set of candlesticks and six apostles were made for the main altar in order to be used for the titular feast. The benefactors were Lwigi and his sister Marija Saliba. The plinth for the titular statue of Our Lady was also made during this year.

In 1910, the new canopy or tuzzell was made which took the place of an earlier one.

In 1919, besides the statues of the Passion, a new set of white kapep were made for the titular feast together with a chasuble embroidered with gold, a reliquary and other sacred vessels together with candlesticks for the altar.

In 1923 new windows were made designed with coloured glass. These windows are now in the dome. New frames were made for the altars. In 1924 a new marble altar was made for the statue of St Fortunatus; even the altar of the Holy Spirit was made of marble. This one was paid by Lwigi Saliba.

During 1924 Lady Balbi donated a green carpet to the Church on the initiative of Dun Gorg Vella.

In 1926 a new organ was made which was brought from Italy. It was blessed by Bishop Mikiel Gonzi on the 22nd of August 1926. Also during this year some work of sculpture was executed in the church. In 1927 a new pulpit was made. There were three coat-of-arms on it: one belonging to Pope Pius XI, one to Bishop Gonzi and on to Parish Priest Cauchi. It was executed by Bertu Mallia and his uncle Lwigi Saliba.

In 1929 the big bell was made.

A new cemetery was built between 1934 and 1935.

In 1937 the project of the enlargement of the church was begun.

In 1945 the portraits of the Annunciation and the Visitation of the Virgin were made and put in the sanctuary.

In 1947 the portraits of Saint Paul, Saint George and Saint Ursula were made. The sculpture of the church was also begun.

In 1948 twenty trophies for the feast were bought.

In 1950 the main altar was made of marble in Italy; it was consecrated by Bishop Guzeppi Pace on the 18th of June 1950.

In this year a crown made of ganutell was made for the statue of St Mary; it was paid by benefactor Lwigi Zahra.

In 1951 the silver hallo for the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows was made together with the lily for the Statue of St Joseph and silver crowns for Our Lady of the Rosary. The benefactress was Grezzja Cefai. Four vases of artificial ornamental flowers used on the altars known as fjuretti were made of ganutell were made for the statue of Saint Mary and new vases also. They were paid by different benefactors.

In 1952 four fjuretti made of ganutell were made for the main altar and paid by different benefactors.

In 1953 six fjuretti of ganutell were made for the altar of Saint Paul and paid by Archpriest Frangisk Mercieca.

n 1954 the sanctuary was covered with marble. This was brought from Italy. The altar of the Immaculate Conception was also covered in marble and its main benefactor was Dun Karm Vella Galea.

In 1956 a kanopew was made embroidered with gold for the titular feast of St Mary.

Two sets of candle-sticks for the altars of the Immaculate Conception and Saint Fortunatus were made. Their benefactors were Guzepp Attard and Guzepp Dimech.

During this year, the candle-sticks and the accompanying statues of the apostles of the main altar were gilded and restored. In 1957 four forcini were gilded with bronze; these were made by different benefactors. In 1958 the ante-porta for the main entrance of the church was made by Toni Mallia. Anton Dimech and his wife paid for it. New dressings for all the altars of the church were also made and paid by different benefactors.

The painting of the Immaculate Conception was restored and special festivities were celebrated.

In 1960 the pavement of the entire church was covered in marble; it was brought from Italy. It was inaugurated on the 17th April 1960 by Bishop Mgr. Guzeppi Pace. In 1962 various painting in the church were gilded. Two chandeliers were donated to the Church to accompany the titular statue of St Mary. The statue of the Assumption which is erected on a pedestal in the parish square every year during the festivities was also made; it was paid by Lwigi Zammit.

In 1963 the parish was given the honour of the arcipretura. Special festivities were made to commemorate the occasion. New chandeliers were also put in place.

In 1964 two sets of candle-sticks were given for the altars in the transepts dedicated to Saint Paul and the Crucifix. They were paid by various benefactors.

Between 1965 and 1967, sculpture work was executed in the church by Karmnu Cini and his son Manweli. The gilding of various portraits in the church was made too. Some of the remaining statues of the Passion were made also at this time. The portraits of the Via Crucis were gilded. The loud-speaker was made. A new set of fans for the summer months were bought for the church.

Between 1967 and 1968 the Catholic Centre was built; it was blessed and officially opened on the 10th August 1968.

In 1970 the new pavilion or curtain which surrounds the titular statue was made for the titular statue of St Mary; it was made of light blue velvet and it was designed by Mgr. Michelangelo Apap of Xaghra.

In 1971 the organ underwent a general restoration. It was also modernized to be used electrically.

In 1972 the new damask for the main parts of the church was made. This project was also supervised by Mgr. Michelangelo Apap.

Between 1972 and 1974 the new Stella Maris House of the Missionary Society of St Paul (MSSP) was built and its first superior was Fr. Tarcisju Micallef.

In 1973 the Parish Office was built. A new set of six candle-sticks was also bought for the feast of St Mary.

In 1975 special celebrations took place to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the declaration of the dogma of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary which had been issued by Pope Pius XII on the 1st November 1950 with the decree Munificentissimus Deus. A new set of white gothic chasubles was made for the titular feast of St Mary and other main festivities.

In 1976 a new set of red chasubles was made for the feast of St Fortunatus.

Between 1976 and 1980 the platforms or dais supporting the pedestals known as bradelli for the statues of the Passion Procession were made.

In 1979 a set of new violet chasubles were made.

In 1980 the golden crown for the titular painting of the Assumption was made. The celebrations of the Coronation were presided by the Bishop of Gozo Mgr. Nikol G. Cauchi on the 18th August 1980. The entire population of the village was gathered in the main square of Zebbug to witness the unique historical event. The special festivities came to their end under the patronage of His Eminence Cardinal Luigi Ciappi OP who came from Rome to be present for the closing day of the feast.

In 1981 the new altar-table on which Mass is celebrated was made. It was made by the renowned Ronald Pisani. The marble was donated by Salvu Cefai of Zebbug. The altar was consecrated by Bishop Nikol G. Cauchi on the 24th June 1981. In that same year Guzeppi Mallia made the new gilding of the titular painting. A new light blue pavilion for the titular statue was made too. All the work was supervised by Mgr. Michelangelo Apap.

In 1982 the marble baptismal fount was executed. Two new ornamental flags used by the clubs in the religious processions known as bandalori were made. The sacristy was also given a facelift: new furniture was made to cover two of the walls and the wood chosen was parana. The altar and the entire furniture were made by Guzeppi Mallia and his son Toni.

In 1983 two new containers for holy water were made out of onyx marble. A new niche for the statue of St Mary was made.

In 1984 the generator was bought. In 1985 a new lectern made of onyx marble was made for the church and a new bankun for the titular statue was made. The new niche for the statue of Christ Crucified (Il-Kurcifiss) which is used in the Passion Procession was made. The side columns, one on each side of the titular painting in the sanctuary were made out of onyx marble.

In the first half of 1986, the main pillars of the sanctuary were made of onyx. The seven bandalori with the Last Seven Words of the Lord were made to be used in the procession. The new antiporta for the side door of the Church was made. It was executed by Guzepp Mallia and paid by Wigi Zahra and his wife. Three new chairs for the Bishop’s throne were made also.
  Previous Next  

Copyright © 2011. All Rights Reserved.
Website Administrator: Ms R. Cini